Theissen admits own F1 future unclear
20 August, 2009
Mario Theissen on Thursday admitted he might stay with the Hinwil based formula one team even after his long time employer BMW pulls out at the end of the season. The German is BMW’s motor sport director and has been with the Munich manufacturer for decades, but he is now working with Peter Sauber on securing the Swiss team’s post-BMW future.
As for his future in the paddock, Theissen said at Valencia: “That’s open and I’m not thinking about it. The first priority is to secure the future of the team in my current role with the team and then after the season we can see what will happen to me,” he added.
Founder Sauber’s takeover bid recently failed but Theissen said other options are on the table, and to that end BMW-Sauber AG submitted an application with the FIA last week for an official team entry for 2010.
“We did not have to show an engine supply contract but we have given some indication, we are talking to engine manufacturers and there would be a solution,” he said. As for finding a new majority owner, Theissen added: “There are several interested parties and we are just about to evaluate the individual proposals.”