Melbourne admits F1 relocation possible
6 March, 2010
Mar.6 (GMM) A relocation of Australia’s F1 race is supported not only by the FIA but also Bernie Ecclestone and potentially also the organising government.
We reported last week that the FIA has commissioned a feasibility study into $200m private sector plans to host the grand prix near Avalon airport, a 45 minute drive from Albert Park.
Albert Park’s current contract runs through 2015, but the event is increasingly controversial due to spiralling running costs that are picked up by the taxpayer.
A report to be published in Melbourne’s Sunday Herald Sun newspaper quotes Victorian state premier John Brumby as admitting the race could move away after 2015.
“One (choice) is to keep it at Albert Park, the second would be to terminate the grand prix or the third would be to move it somewhere (else),” he said.
Ecclestone was unavailable for comment, but a spokeswoman said the F1 chief executive supports any move to stage Australia’s race under floodlights.