Horner: Raikkonen is committed to rallying
28 May, 2010
May 28 (GMM) Red Bull Racing has played down suggestions Kimi Raikkonen was a serious contender for a seat in 2011.
As the team edges closer to re-signing Mark Webber for next year, boss Christian Horner was asked if there was any truth to recent reports linking Raikkonen with the Australian’s seat.
“No. Kimi has committed himself to rallying and he seems to be enjoying that environment,” he is quoted by The Guardian.
Finn Raikkonen, 30, left Ferrari and formula one at the end of last year to drive a Red Bull-sponsored Citroen in the world rally championship.
The 2007 world champion took in the recent Monaco grand prix from his yacht ‘Iceman’ and attended several parties, but never once stepped into the F1 paddock.
The Telegraph quoted Horner as saying Webber, 33, is close to signing a new deal for 2011.
“We’re just dotting the i’s and crossing the t’s now,” he said. “I would expect something will be announced within the next couple of weeks.”
Meanwhile, Felipe Massa sounded happy with the news that Ferrari is likely to retain him for next year.
“Let’s wait a bit to see what happens, but definitely I would like to stay here,” said the Brazilian.
Renault’s Robert Kubica admitted it is possible he will leave the Enstone team after just one year.
“There will be a time to think about whether I should stay or leave Renault,” said the Pole.