Mercedes deny F1 talks with Daimler boss
6 July, 2010
Jul.6 (GMM) According to well-known French commentator Jean-Louis Moncet, a notable meeting involving the Mercedes GP team took place on Monday.
Moncet wrote in his Auto Plus blog that the video conference would involve the Stuttgart based Daimler chairman Dieter Zetsche, and the Brackley based team’s Ross Brawn, Norbert Haug, Michael Schumacher and Nico Rosberg.
He said the “various statements by members of the team to the media” would be discussed, even though a Mercedes spokesman rubbished the report.
And although Mercedes insists the comments were taken out of context, Moncet could be referring to Rosberg’s quoted claims about being frustrated by a lack of development progress.
There have also been hints from Rosberg, Schumacher and Brawn that development of the 2010 car could be stopped in favour of focusing on next year’s project.
But in a team statement late last week, those figures insisted the team is still working hard on the W01.
“It’s been tough for us over the last few races but we are working hard to improve and I am confident we will get there,” said Rosberg.
However, a headline in the German daily Die Welt said “Expectation and reality are far apart at Mercedes”.
The article included Zetsche’s warning of early this year when he said that “If there are clear indications that we can use our money more effectively outside of formula one, we will have to take a new decision”.
And former Jordan and Jaguar designer Gary Anderson said: “The people around Brawn understand the car they have built for 2010 in the same way they understood it in the second half of last year.”
But Bernie Ecclestone thinks Mercedes needs more time to get up to speed with its own team.
“Of course it takes a bit of time to revive a myth, but I am sure they are on the right track and that the Silver Arrows will come back to full strength,” said the F1 chief executive.