Alonso extends with Ferrari until 2016
19 May, 2011
May 19 (GMM) Double Formula 1 World Champion Fernando Alonso has signed up with Ferrari for another five years, the Italian team announced on Thursday.
Ferrari president Luca di Montezemolo said last week he hopes to keep the Spaniard, who joined the Maranello based outfit last year, for “a long time”.
Thursday’s press release stated that Ferrari “has renewed its technical and racing agreement” with Alonso through to the the end of 2016 – which will see him with the team until he is 35.
“Fernando has all the required qualities, both technically and personally to play a leading role in the history of Ferrari and I hope he will be enriching it with further wins very soon,” said Montezemolo.
Alonso has said there is “no doubt” he will end his Formula 1 career with Ferrari.
Scuderia Ferrari Marlboro announces that it has renewed its technical and racing agreement with the driver Fernando Alonso up to the end of the 2016 season.
“It is a great pleasure to have renewed our agreement with a driver who has always demonstrated a winning mentality even in the most difficult circumstances, commented President Luca di Montezemolo. “Fernando has all the required qualities, both technically and personally to play a leading role in the history of Ferrari and I hope he will be enriching it with further wins very soon.”
“I am very happy to have reached this agreement, said Fernando Alonso. “I immediately felt comfortable within Ferrari and now it feels to me like a second family. I have the utmost faith in the men and women who work in Maranello and in those who lead them: it is therefore natural for me to decide to extend my relationship in the long term like this, with a team at which I will no doubt end my Formula 1 career one day.”