Hulkenberg needs to be in a 2012 race seat
18 July, 2011
Jul.18 (GMM) Nico Hulkenberg has admitted it is crucial for him to return to the formula one grid in 2012 after spending this year as reserve driver for Force India and so far not contesting any races.
After making a solid debut in 2010 with Williams, the 23-year-old German was replaced for this season by Pastor Maldonado.
“The timing of the decision was not perfect, because all of the other seats were already taken,” he said.
Hulkenberg rescued his career by moving to Force India with a deal that involves him driving during Friday morning practice at every grand prix in 2011.
“The test driving is not much and it’s frustrating, but it’s better than nothing,” he said in an interview with Dutch magazine Formule 1. “Luckily I can at least drive on Fridays.
“This one season is not fatal to my career, but next year I have to have a race seat. Otherwise it’s difficult for me,” insisted Hulkenberg.